Friday, May 22, 2009

Jacob's Birth Story

Friday 1:45pm-

I have been wanting to tell the story since I got home, but I haven't had a spare second as of yet. I will tell it as far as I can before Maggie wakes from her nap. I should be napping now, but otherwise this will never get recorded.

Monday April 27th started like any other. Grammy and Papdaddy had arrived the evening before and were all ready to take care of Maggie. I thought everything was going to go smooth as silk. As Dan said..."This should be a drive through delivery" Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy right? We checked into the hospital at 9 am and were scheduled for surgery at 11 am. They took me into a triage room and had me get into the gown and get ready to go. They took customary pre surgery bloodwork and told us that it wouldn't be much longer.

At 10:30 we got word that the OB was still in surgery and would be a little delayed but we were mostly on schedule. We could still have a baby by noon. Still waiting on the bloodwork to come back from the lab...but other than that...all clear.

At around 11:30 the anesthesiologist came in to ask if I had ever had a problem with my platelet counts. UH...What? No, I haven't ever had a problem with my platelet counts. Well, it appears that the average healthly adult has a platelet count in the range of 150k-450k or so per sample size and mine was currently at 43k. A little low you say...So maybe it was machine error. The Anesthesiologist suggested another blood sample and this time let's let a lab tech hand count the platelets and see what they say. *singing Jeopardy theme* The lab tech came back with the results....37k. Yep, they were lower than the machine count. So...with a platelet count this low there was no way they could administer the epidural or the spinal block for my c-section. Of course those are administered in your back and then you lay on your back for the procedure. If there is a problem with blood clotting and I start to bleed then they wouldn't know it and I could bleed out during the surgery. The solution...general anesthesia. You know, the one where they put you completely asleep for the procedure? BOO! I would be the last to know whether I had a boy or a girl, Dan wouldn't be able to be with me for the delivery, and it would be scary as hell. Well, they put me under. I was crying the whole time and according to the doctors, I really fought the anesthesia.

And now I will cut forward a few hours because I don't remember much...due to being asleep or due to being groggy and coming to. BUT...both Jacob and I came out of the procedure happy and healthy and we were headed up to our room in maternity.

The next few days were according to textbook. Jacob was a great nurser right off the bat. I was recovering nicely. My incision looked good...as much as a seam in your tummy can look. So let's cut forward to Friday (day 5 in the hospital...they kept me an extra day to watch my platelets). They wanted to do one more blood test...my platelets came back at 66! On the rise!! So...let's clean out the bassinet, take the diapers, take the formula (not that we need it, but you know, it's free) take it ALL!! Now lastly...take my blood pressure, take my temperature and put me in the car! While we are waiting for the tech to arrive with the blood pressure thingy and the temp taking device...PACK UP THE CAR DAN!

What's that you say...you thought I wasn't discharged until Saturday. Well, you are right. When they came to take my blood pressure it was 80/50 and my heartbeat was 175bpm. The alarms went off. The tech got freaked out. She ran to talk to the nurse...the nurse went to the resident..the resident went to OB...the OB called a cardiologist. I was then transferred to the cardiac unit.

Well...that's all for now...I will continue soon...I promise

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your baby!!! It is hard to find the time, but I am eagerly waiting your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have one heck of a birth story, Amanda. I hope everything continues to improve! ;)

    It was so great to see you guys this weekend! Hope we can get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?