Slow Cooker Pulled Pork – 12 servings
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1/2 cup(s) ketchup
· 1/3 cup(s) cider vinegar
· 1/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
· 1/4 cup(s) tomato paste
· 2 tablespoon(s) sweet paprika
· 2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
· 2 tablespoon(s) yellow mustard
· 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
· 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
· 4 pound(s) boneless pork shoulder blade roast (fresh pork butt), cut into 4 pieces
· 12 soft sandwich buns or ciabatta rolls, warmed
· Dill pickles (optional)
· Potato chips (optional)
· Hot sauce (optional)
1. In 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow-cooker pot, stir onion, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, paprika, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, and pepper until combined. Add pork to sauce mixture and turn to coat well with sauce.
2. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook pork mixture on low setting as manufacturer directs, 8 to 10 hours or until pork is very tender.
3. With tongs, transfer pork to large bowl. Turn setting on slow cooker to high; cover and heat sauce to boiling to thicken and reduce slightly.
4. While sauce boils, with 2 forks, pull pork into shreds. Return shredded pork to slow cooker and toss with sauce to combine. Cover slow cooker and heat through on high setting if necessary.
5. Spoon pork mixture onto bottom of sandwich buns; replace tops of buns. Serve sandwiches with pickles, potato chips, and hot sauce if you like.
Salad with Light Dressing
Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce – 4 servings
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- 1 lb. Chicken breast cutlets
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cut chicken pieces into 2 inch squares
- Combine cheese, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag, set aside.
- Crack egg into a shallow bowl and beat lightly. Add chicken pieces to egg. Use fork to stir and coat completely. Place chicken in bag with cheese, salt, and pepper. Reseal bag and shake to coat, working in batches if necessary.
- Place coated chicken pieces on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve with Honey Mustard sauce below, for dipping.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 3 TB honey
- 3 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Combine the honey, mustard, and lemon juice in a small bowl and stir well. Serve at room temperature with chicken tenders or cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Roasted Potatoes – 4 servings
12 oz uncooked potato(es), fingerling, well-scrubbed, sliced in half lengthwise
| || |
1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
| || |
1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, divided
| || |
1 Tbsp rosemary, fresh (plus extra sprigs for garnish)
| || |
1/8 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
| || |
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
· Preheat oven to 400°F.
· In a small roasting pan, combine potatoes, garlic, 1/4 cup of broth, rosemary, salt and pepper.
· Roast for 15 minutes (broth will evaporate); add remaining broth, flip potatoes and roast for 15 minutes more. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
· 1 teaspoon olive oil
· 10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 tablespoons flour
· 6 ounces egg noodles
· 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
· 3/4 cup light cream
· 1 package cooked turkey breast strips (such as Purdue Short Cuts)
· 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion to pot. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 7 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Remove mushroom mixture from pot and set aside.
3. Return pot to medium-high heat and add noodles, broth, light cream and 2-1/4 cups water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until tender.
4. Stir in mushroom mixture, remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, the turkey and peas. Heat through; serve.
Steamed Asparagus – 0 points
Italian Loaf – 2 points/ 1/8 of loaf
Scallops with Cherry Tomatoes – 4 servings
1 lb (454 g) sea scallops
4 tsp (20 mL) cornstarch, divided
2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pint (500 mL) cherry tomatoes
2/3 cup (150 mL) dry vermouth, white wine, or chicken broth
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water
Dredge scallops in 3 tsp (15 mL) cornstarch, shaking off excess. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallops and sauté until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer scallops to bowl.
Add garlic to pan and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to collapse, about 4 minutes. Add vermouth, salt, and basil to pan. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Meanwhile, stir together remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch and cold water in small bowl.
Add cornstarch mixture to pan and cook, stirring, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Return scallops to pan, reduce to a simmer, and cook just until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve with Asian vermicelli or brown rice. For dessert, serve chunks of honeydew melon with a dipping sauce of lemon yogurt and orange juice.
Makes 4 servings.
Whole wheat Noodles with spray butter – 4 points per cup
Left Over Italian Bread – 2 points for 1/8 of loaf
Pesto Pork Chops – 4 servings
6 points per chop
· 6 ounces eggless noodles
· 2 cups fresh basil leaves
· 3 garlic cloves, peeled
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 4 center-cut pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick, about 4 ounces each)
Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and keep hot. Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
Put basil, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add bread crumbs and process 30 seconds until incorporated. With motor running, slowly add oil through feed tube until pureed. Set aside.
Coat large heavy ovenproof skillet and broiler rack with nonstick cooking spray. Set skillet over high heat until very hot but not smoking. Sprinkle both sides of chops with remaining salt and pepper. Sauté chops until browned, about 1 minute on each side. Remove from heat. Spread chops on both sides with pesto and transfer to broiler pan.
Broil chops until pesto is slightly darker and juices run clear, about 2 minutes on each side. Divide noodles evenly among 4 plates and top with a pork chop.
Typically, pesto sauce is whirled up from basil, olive oil, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese — which adds up to a high percentage of fat. To slash the fat but save the flavor, substitute bread crumbs for the nuts and cheese. Blend everything with just enough olive oil to hold it together.
Near the end of the suggested cooking time, make a slit with a small knife in the center of the chop. It’s ready to eat when the juices run clear, the meat shows just a hint of pink (about 160°F), and the chop is still juicy and tender.
Green Beans – 0 points
Roasted Potatoes – See Tuesday for Recipe - 3 points
Homestyle Potato Soup – 5 servings
medium potatoes (about 1 pound)
cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
medium green onions with tops
teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1. 1Peel the potatoes, and cut into large pieces.
2. 2Heat the chicken broth and potatoes to boiling in the saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally with a fork to make sure potatoes do not stick to the saucepan. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat just enough so mixture bubbles gently. Cover and cook about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
3. 3While the potatoes are cooking, peel and thinly slice the green onions. If you have extra onions, wrap them airtight and store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
4. 4When the potatoes are done, remove the saucepan from the heat, but do not drain. Break the potatoes into smaller pieces with the potato masher or large fork. The mixture should still be lumpy.
5. 5Stir the milk, salt, pepper, thyme and onions into the potato mixture. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and steaming, but do not let the soup boil.
Grilled Cheese 5-9 points based on your recipe
Use your favorite recipe
Apple Slices – 0 points