Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sleep Training...one week

I decided to start sleep training Jake last Monday afternoon. At least I think it was last Monday. It feels like an eternity ago. But, the process has forced me to really pay more attention to Jake and get to know who he is. All too often he was just lugged along in the carrier while Maggie and I did our thing. We didn't pay much attention to his needs. Now, he gets his own focus.

Here's what I've learned. Jacob only needs about an hour nap in the morning. But, he isn't hungry when he wakes up. He can stay on his every 4 hour feeding schedule. Also, he needs a longer afternoon nap. Sometimes it's 2 hours, sometimes it's not. He also still needs a cat nap in the evening, about 45 minutes or so. He just isn't the napper that Maggie was and I am becoming okay with that. She set the bar pretty high. And yes, he still gets up once a night, somewhere between 2 and 5, and again, I am okay with that. I know it's only for a short while that I will get this middle of the night snuggle time with my little boy. He will soon drop this feed.

I think a lot of the "issues" I was having were more about perspective than anything else. I was measuring Jake's sleep against his sister's patterns. And so the sibling comparisons begin! :0 . I need to realize that Jake will pave his own road and I need to let him follow it. I have to realize that sometimes the errands won't get run and dinner might be late and all of that is okay.

So, I am going to continue to make sure we are at home for all naps, but I think we can still go to a play date now and then.

NOW......on to fun stuff.....

THE ABBEY GIFT SHOP
OPENS THIS WEEKEND!!

www.the.abbeygiftshop.com


Unique gift shop opens

Monday, August 31, 2009

By Kevin Dye
Staff Writer

West Jefferson residents will soon be able to have a glorious time shopping for unique gift items at a very familiar location in the center of the village.

The Abbey Gift Shop is set to open soon in the newly renovated building that was the Sts. Simon and Jude Catholic Church for many years. While the building is set to be a gift shop, great care has been taken to retain much of what gave the old church its charm.

Amy Tiefenthaler is the building’s new owner and she has been hard at work getting the gift shop ready to open. The Abbey is being designed as a one-stop gift shop location where customers can enjoy a relaxing time browsing what the store has to offer.

“My main goal for this shop is for a customer to be able to come in, select a gift, get it gift wrapped for free and be on their way,” said Tiefenthaler. “I want people to have an experience here also. We will offer free coffee and tea to enjoy while they shop at The Abbey.”

The Abbey’s motto is “Unique gifts for everyone” and that is what Tiefenthaler is currently stocking in her shop. The Abbey has special jewelry, handbags, craft items, Rothschild’s gourmet food items and much, much more.

The new shop will feature unique gift items for children which can be personalized for the ones you love. “We will have a lot of personalized baby items,” said Tiefenthaler. “I have an embroidery machine and we can customize items for our shoppers.”

Tiefenthaler has also updated the church that is over 100 years old and has completed some much needed upgrades to the landmark building.

“I’ve really tried to keep as much of the original church intact as much as possible,” said Tiefenthaler. “I have had some work done on the building. In fact, this is the first time in the building’s history that it has had running water and restrooms in it.”

The Abbey will offer special items for holidays throughout the year, though Tiefenthaler says she will stock Christmas items year round.

The shop is also designed to be a place for people to sell their craft items on consignment. Folks who have made their own craft items and are looking for a way to get public exposure can contact The Abbey about selling their items there.

While the work is still ongoing to get the shop ready to open, Amy has had some visitors pop in from time to time. “A lot of people have seen the doors opened and have stopped in,” she said. “They want to see what I’ve done with the church. I can tell you I have put a lot of work into this shop for the residents of West Jefferson.”

The Abbey has clearly been a labor of love for Tiefenthaler, who often works under the watchful eye of her young son Bryson.

She hopes that the village residents embrace what she has created in The Abbey. Tiefenthaler hopes to be in West Jefferson for some time.

“I really like this community so much,” said Tiefenthaler. “I’d like to be successful and raise my family here.”



GOOD LUCK AMY!!

Go buy some stuff this weekend....go buy my stuff this weekend :) !!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like he's trained you a bit! :) I'm glad you're happy with the outcome. That's really all that matters. Seems as though he'll have no problem getting out from under his sister's shadow!

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?