Friday, February 27, 2009

I am so making these....

I have a few pillows in my living room that need a refresh. The insides are good, but the fabric has seen it's share of mishaps and more so in recent history...living with a 1+ year old and all. So, I think I will make some of these and make them nice and new. WHAT AN EASY TUTORIAL! Have fun!

Tutorial: Easy Envelope Pillow Covers

project courtesy of tinydecorblog.com

Covering a pillow doesn’t get any easier than this. No zippers or buttons to mess with. You don’t even have to pin this. In about 15-20 minutes you will have a beautiful custom made pillow cover.

Supplies:

  • Pillow insert ( I used a bamboo fiber insert)
  • Fabric (see step 1 for size)
  • Thread

Step-by-step:

  1. Cut a piece of fabric the height of your pillow insert plus 1 inch and twice the width of your pillow plus 6 inches. (I used a 12 x 16 inch pillow insert, so I cut my fabric 13 x 38 inches)
  2. On both short ends of fabric fold over and press 1/4 inch. Fold over another 1/4 inch and press again.
  3. Sew hem along folded edge on both short ends.
  4. Lay fabric right side up on work surface. Fold short ends in toward middle until cover is width of pillow. The fabric will overlap about 2.5 inches in the middle.
  5. Sew two long edges with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. (I prefer to serge these seams in my pillows to finish the seam, but it is not required.)
  6. Flip pillow cover right side out through the envelope closure. Press. Stuff with pillow insert through envelope enclosure.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I'm redecorating the TV room; I made a valance and had leftover fabric, so I made an envelope pillow cover! Glad you're feeling good and blogging again. I miss your updates even if I never comment. Enjoy your sassy new pillow. Mine rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?