Friday, April 10, 2009

Flannel Nursing Pad Tutorial

As I am facing less than 2 weeks before this baby arrives, I figured it was time to figure out what else we needed in order to "be ready". You know the things I am talking about....mattress pad for the new crib, noise machine, monitor, diaper cream, bibs, pacifiers, and the like. I also put nursing pads on my list. Last time I used disposables, but found they were pretty itchy and pretty wasteful. I have never had mass amounts of leakage, but I still needed something. I thought I might try my hand at making some reusable ones. I have TONS of scrap fabric that would be pretty useful. Here's the tutorial I found and I think I might make some. I would buy some, but they were OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Has anyone else made their own or tried the reusable? Your tips and hints would be appreciated!

Cloth Nursing Pads
http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/ideas/pom-aug03.htm

Nursing Pads

Materials:

  • Absorbant 100% cotton cloth - good materials include birds eye weave fabric, Chinese cotton pre-fold cloth diapers, terry cloth or flannel.
  • Soft 100% cotton flannel
  • Compass or template circle (at least 4" in diameter)
  • Protractor or quilter's ruler
  • Fabric marker, fabric chalk or soft lead pencil
  • Fabric scissors
  • Sewing machine or serger
  • Thread to match flannel

Directions:

  1. Pre-wash all your fabric to shrink. Wash Chinese cotton prefolds at least twice or better yet recycle old ones.

  2. The examples were made using the inner layers or a worn pre-fold diaper. Six layers of cloth were used for the inner part of each pad. These pads appear to be the same thickness as store-bought cloth pads. If you choose to use terry cloth you may want only one or two inner layers depending on the thickness of the cloth.

  3. Draw a circle with at least a 4" diameter.

  4. Cut out the desired number of layers.

  5. Cut out two pieces of flannel for each pad.

  6. If you want flat pads skip to step 11.

  7. To make contoured pads, mark the center of each circle and draw one radius.

  8. Using a protractor or quilter's ruler draw a second radius at a 30-degree angle to the first. Cut out the "pie piece." (See Picture A)

    Nursing Pads - A
    picture A

  9. Stack half the inner layers for one pad (3 layers in the example) and bring together the two edges of the pac man shaped piece. Sew together flat using a two or three step zigzag stitch. I also chose to shorten my stitch length for a more secure stitch. You should end up with two cones. (See Pictures B and C)


    picture B

    Nursing Pads C
    picture C

  10. Using only one layer of flannel at a time repeat step 9.

  11. Stack your four layers in this order: flannel, two layers of 3-thick cotton and flannel again. Be sure to alternate your seams so you do not end up with a thick place in the pads.

  12. Overcast the edges on either a regular sewing machine or a serger. Be sure to use needles and stitch settings appropriate for thick woven material.

Tips:

I found by trial and error that it is very difficult to serge multiple layers. If you are using a serger I suggest cutting your circles 1/2" larger in diameter than the final size you desire, then cut off approximately 1/4" of fabric when you serge. The thickness and multiple layers are difficult to move through a serger. The layers slip and not all layers were caught in the overcasting.

Choose your flannel colors to match your skin tone. The examples were done in white, but white pads often show through clothing, particularly light clothing. For a light skinned mom pink, beige or peach flannel will hide the pads. For darker skinned women look for a darker beige, tan or brown flannel.

Flat pads make for a quick project; however, they don't lie as nicely as contoured pads and they show more through clothing. The 30-degree angle cut-out works nicely for a large busted woman, but a smaller busted woman may choose to use a larger angle to shape the pad more closely to her shape.

These pads can be wash with mild or regular detergent and machine dried. To preserve the absorbency of the fabric do not use fabric softener or chlorine bleach. Bleach can be used occasionally, but it will break down cotton fibers. These pads are designed to protect against between nursing leakage, be sure to check and change your pads regularly if you are prone to heavier leakage.



***********UPDATE**********These are AWESOME! I made 16 pairs and I have never run out. I have never leaked through to my outer shirt. I have leaked through to my bra overnight, but that's the only time. I spent so much money on disposable ones last time. I totally recommend these to EVERY nursing mother!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I bought the Gerber reusable ones, but didn't like them because they're too small so they show through my clothes (they're also flat, not contoured). I like the Lansinoh disposable ones becasue they're bigger so you can't see the edge lines. Make sure yours are big like the Lansinohs. (If you want me to measure mine, I will.)
    Let me know how these turn out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting washable nursing pads that are 6 layered. I should have thought to make them myself. This was a great tip and I'm sure you can whip up quite a few in no time at all. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you thought this useful Alicia....how'd they work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info and the update.

    Sorry, I read the skin tone tip and had no idea what you were talking about. I was like "Skin toned? Why?" I've never worn a bra that was THAT see through [otherwise my nips would show]. As a matter of fact, I've never worn a bra that didn't have shaping to it. lol. [easily confusable today] ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size are the lasinoh pads? I have some reusable pads but i find them uncomfortable i think because of their size...i'm a DD when nursing and cant stand the pads digging in...anyone do bigger than 4"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I made these originally I made a 5 inch diameter circle. Measure yourself to see what looks like a comfortable size, then do a test pair. Err on the side of too big, as you can always make them smaller!

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?