Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bad Mommy Habits

As a mom, I have found that I often fall last on my own priority list. It's really easy to do. Here's the typical checklist....Maggie Fed? Dan Fed? Cats Fed? Everybody have something to drink? Oh...maybe I should make myself a plate and something to drink. Why do I let myself so easily slip behind the cats. And knowing it's my habit, why does it continue? I guess it's my desire for harmony. If everyone else is happy, mommy's happy.

Well, I have hit the end of my rope, a little. Maggie was born in September 2007. I had a haircut in August 2007 and another one in June 2008. That's is it. ONE HAIRCUT SINCE SHE WAS BORN. I just don't take the time. It's just easier. Well, last night I pampered myself. I told Dan I needed him home by 5:15 so I could go get a haircut and I would be back after Maggie bedtime. Here is my evening...
  • 5:10 Dan arrives home
  • 5:20 I leave (I have trouble relinquishing control. I had to give him the layout of the evening, even though he is perfectly capable and knows all this stuff anyway)
  • 5:25 Find a free spot on the street to park **BONUS!!**
  • 5:30 Sit in a window seat at Panera Bread to enjoy my Broccoli Cheddar soup and half of a Bacon Turkey Bravo
  • 5:38 Realize that I don't have to leave for my hair appointment until 5:55 yet I have eaten my meal in its entirety. This is what happens when you are used to eating with 142 interruptions by baby and then suddenly you have nothing stopping you from enjoying your food.
  • 5:40 Clear my table and then head to the bookstore across the street to check out the newest books
  • 5:43-5:53 Peruse the book "Passive Aggressive Notes". I was pulled in by the cover photo. It was of a note taped to a refrigerator and it said: DEAR MILK THIEF: THAT WAS BREASTMILK!
  • 5:53 Head back across the street for my long awaited haircut
  • 5:55-6 Sit and read a magazine, while really looking over the top of it and realizing how old I feel as I look at all of these tiny 20 somethings buzzing around. The salon is actually and Aveda school and it's on OSU's campus. Everyone appears very trendy and posh, lots of black.
  • 6-8 Enjoy the most wonderful 2 hours! It started with a back massage and scalp massage. Then when she went to wash my hair, I didn't sit in one of those uncomfortable chairs...NO...she put me up on this reclined table and put a pillow under my knees. I just laid there while the hot water rushed over my hair and she shampooed me. Before I left the table, I got a mini facial. As I have never had a real, full facial and have no basis of comparison, this was so relaxing. I could have fallen asleep right there. Then the haircut. It turned out great. Hopefully it will last me another 8 or 9 months!
  • 8:05 Return home just in time to give Maggie a good night kiss before Daddy put her to bed.
  • 8:05-? I relaxed on the couch and watched TV until I fell asleep and then I went upstairs to bed. What a night!
Isn't it funny how a mundane haircut and eating dinner alone can turn into such a wonderful night? The funny things kids do to your sense of normal.

OKAY...enough about me...

December is around the corner and I have had a lot of people asking about tips and tricks with the specific holiday crafts they have started (or are thinking about starting). I want to help. I will post an new craft every day in December and I will answer any questions you have. They can be specific or general. Here's an example:"What's the difference between interfacing and batting?" So email me at ForYourPeanut [at] gmail [dot] com and I will post answers to the blog. Let's see what you have up your sleeves for this holiday crafting season!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Amanda!! What a relaxing evening!

    I am the same way with putting myself last, and it's gotten even worse with baby #2. I've started making my next hair appointment before leaving the salon so that I hold myself accountable and get out at least once every 6 weeks. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?