Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ahhh.....crafts.....they just relax me

Okay kids! Here's what I have been up to during the past few nap times:

1. Appliqued Onesie:




I was really pleased with how this turned out. It was really simple. I just took some interfacing and ironed it to a scrap of fabric. I then cut out the shape and pinned it to the onesie. I used a ironed coffee filter on the back as a stabilizer. I set the sewing machine was set to a really (and I mean really) small zig zag stitch and I went around twice. Not too bad for my first attempt. I would recommend using a ball point needle on this fabric as to not perforate the fabric. Now I am trying to figure out if these would sell on the site or if I should just make some up and list them on ebay.....thoughts?????

2. Hooded Towel:




I was also pleased with how this turned out. It's made out of one adult bath towel and a hand towel. I ended up using this TUTORIAL over at SkiptoMyLou.org. After I got started I decided I really wasn't digging the tutorial I originally had posted on my site. Sorry for those who tried the other. I did break 3 needles on my machine before thinking to put the denim needle on. Those towels are thick once you get them folded and tucked and then add three layers of ribbon. :) I made the wash cloth out of the leftover half of the hand towel. I ended up trimming it out in white ribbon after this photo was taken. But, the wash cloth was used for bath time before I got a picture of it. I made this one 9X9. Next time I will definitely make the washcloth as large as possible. It was just too small. Again, I am thinking about selling these, but they tend to be pretty customized. Should I just make some up? eBay? How much?

3. Crayon Roll:

Wow was this easy. I just used scrap fleece, but I won't next time. It gets pretty thick and it has a lot of stretch...that gets annoying. When I ran to the fabric store yesterday, I bought some felt and I think that should work better. I also bought an 8 pack of crayons and this will be Maggie's Valentine's day gift, along with a BIG pad of paper. I used this TUTORIAL from SkipToMyLou.org.

4. Fabric covered Bulletin Board:


I took the ratty, old, hand-me-down corkboard out of our office and covered it with some sale fabric I found at JoAnn's. I just wrapped the board in some quilt batting and then in the fabric. It was all just stapled to the back. I am going to trim around the edges in brown ribbon and make some criss-crossed on the front, more to look like a tic-tac-toe board with a large center square, rather than the traditional X pattern. I will secure where the ribbons cross with some furniture tacks. I think I will get this done today if all goes according to plan. But, now that I have written that, my day is sure to be wonky!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you that I personally would be VERY interested in both the towels and onesies, not only for my kids, but as baby gifts, as well. As soon as I saw the onesie I thought of Valentine's Day. Maybe you could sell them around the holidays and make the appliques apply to them? Just a thought. Let me know what you decide to do! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?