Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wednesday....not wordless


This post will be more for me than for you. I need to get it down on "paper" in order to try to figure out where I want to go. I am at a crossroads.

Jacob turned 6 months old yesterday. He doesn't have a check up until November 4th, so stats will be a little delayed. I can tell you that his is about 20 pounds or more! BIG GUY for sure.

We started cereal last night and we got melancholy results. He was interested in it at first and then thought..."hmmm, not sure this is what I was expecting" We will continue to try it and maybe he will be the eater that Maggie is one day.

We have also been bottle feeding since 3pm yesterday. I have had a medical setback that requires medicine that isn't approved for nursing mothers. At this point his bottles have been half breast milk, from my stored supply, and half formula. He doesn't like taking the bottle from me and I generally think he doesn't like the bottle. I know this is something he's just going to have to get over if he wants to eat; there are no other options. Why bottle feeding you ask?

I went to the hematologist yesterday to have my platelets checked. Like I said on Monday, I had a weird spot show up on my leg and it concerned me. Rightfully so....my platelets were at 18. If they drop below 10 I will have to have a platelet transfusion. Because they are below 30 I have had to go on steroids. We are doing a 4 day blast of steroids. I take 10 pills first thing in the morning for four days and then my platelets will be checked on Friday morning. I hope they will have improved by then. I will then go off the steroids for one week. If necessary I go back on for another 4 days. We will continue the process for 4 treatments. If these treatments don't work, then the treatments will get a ton more aggressive and nursing will no longer be an option at all. Right now, I can't nurse while on the steroids, or for 2 days after my last dose, but I could nurse on my week off the drugs. No issue really, you say. Just a break from nursing.

This condition, ITP, is something that came about randomly as a complication from pregnancy. There is a chance that the hormones coursing through my body as a result of breastfeeding could be continuing the platelet complication. A chance. There are thousands of reasons that my platelets could be low. It's easier just to try to fix then find.

Pumping and dumping and bottle feeding with a 2 year old running around is a lot of work. Because Jacob really hasn't ever had many bottles it takes him FOREVER to eat. Do I really want to invest the time and energy to keep my supply up, when there is a remote chance that there may be residual drugs in my breast milk. It's not like they test these drugs on nursing moms. Is the risk worth it?

My dad brought up another thought. Jacob's a big kid and he requires a lot of nutrition. It has been said that the breast feeding baby or the gestational baby get what ever they need from mom. EVEN TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE MOTHER. The body will steal from mom to provide. Is there a chance that I can't heal because my body is working so hard to keep up with Jacob's nutritional needs?

I know in my head, for my own health, that I need to stop nursing and give myself time to heal and get better, for both of my children. If there is a remote chance that all of this will go away with a few cans of formula for 6 months, I can't see that I have a choice. Jacob got 6 months of exclusive nursing. I gave him a great start. I have to be proud of that and stop feeling like I am letting him down.

I know in my heart, that I am not ready to stop. I love the bonding time and the closeness that nursing provides. There is just something special during that time. But is it worth the risks.

So Dearest Readers.....what are your thoughts. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly! Bring it on........

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Amanda. My heart aches for you right now. I totally 100% agree that you HAVE to get better. I also agree with what your dad said, and it could be a very good possibility that your body is taking better care of Jacob than you right now.

    That being said, I also know it's not that easy for you to be ok with the decision to stop nursing when it's not the plan you had in your head. You are a great mom and you are doing the right thing. Your kids need you to be the healthiest you can be, and right now the most important thing for them is you figuring this out.

    I'll be thinking of you. Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No question. Wean. You have to take care of yourself or you'll be worthless to us all! Seriously, with so much going around, you have to make sure you're healthy for Jacob and Maggie. I give you effort for thinking about keeping your supply up but, by day 2, I would be banging my head against the wall wondering why I ever had such crazy ideas. You're a great mom. You have two awesome, happy kids. They're that way because of great parents...not because of nursing or formula. Besides...you always hear people say that formula babies sleep better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off to you! I think that 6 mo of exclusive nursing is a great jump foundation for Jacob. There are a lot of wonderful food choices that can take up the nutrition from here. Another option of consideration may be weening him except for the 1st am and last pm feeding. That way you don't have to pump or nurse as much, he (& you) can still get the perks of breastmilk and the solid food can be a great support for such a growing boy.
    Maybe next week from the reading you will know which way is best. Yes, you need to be healthy first to provide a healthy 'mom' for the kiddos but maybe you will be able to find a middle, workable solution.
    THank you for sharing! I hope that you find some peace in your decision! It brought a little tear to my eye, I know it's not an easy situation-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, just a side note- I dislike re-reading my comments or blogs or whatever and seeing a typo AFTER I published it- - -oh well :)

    (my statement was you have provided a great foundation, not jump foundation, I was going for jump start but liked foundation more- that is one of the errors anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, Amanda, I'm sorry you have to make such tough choices right now! You really are a GREAT mom! I know others here have said that, but you just can't hear it enough. And this is an occassion that calls for extra encouragement!! You've done a great job to this point building a huge bond of love that no matter what your decision, you have no need to be guilty. And because your bond is strong, you can move forward building it in other ways if needed. I pray that you can be at peace during this challenging time and more importantly, I pray that your health is restored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I hope that your condition improves. I'm so sorry to hear that it's gotten worse. I have also heard that you body adapts to what your baby needs, so maybe nursing is hidering your recovery process. If you decide to stop nursing please don't feel bad. I've read that whatever breastmilk you child gets is greatly benificaial even if it's only a few days. Six months is awesome, I think. You are not letting him down at all! He knows you love him even if you don't have that special time anymore. You'll even be able to spend more time with him and Maggie if you don't have to pump as well. And he will still be a healthy little guy with the formula. Think of all the iron and DHA and such that's in it. Formula is a lot better than it used to be. Jacob needs a healthy mom more than anything. And as for solids, if it makes you feel any better, Grayson didn't take to eating solids right away either. It took a couple weeks of trying a little each night before he got the hang of it. Hang in there. If you need anything just give me a call. I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Little Ones

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Where in the World are YOU From?